INTRO TO SENIOR MOVES
What is a Senior Move Manager?
A professional who specializes in assisting older adults and their families with the emotional and physical aspects of relocation and/or “aging in place.” Though many have varied backgrounds, what they all share is a profound commitment to connecting with older adults and a desire to perform meaningful work.
What Makes a Senior Move Manager Different from a Moving Company?
- Senior Move Managers provide a multi-faceted approach to the move process, from space planning in the beginning, to post-move support and advocacy.
- Senior Move Managers minimize the chaos and stress associated with moving by addressing all aspects of the move process. They are responsible for creating and executing a seamless action plan, customized to the client’s wishes.
- With the gentle and expert guidance of an experienced Senior Move Manager, older adults and families make key decisions without the emotional and physical distress that can follow. As a result, older adults and their families can avoid the costly mistakes and remorse that often accompany such major lifestyle transitions.
To help you understand better the situations that might arise that would warrant your hiring Daisy’s Senior Moves I have provided a couple of examples below: No move or situation is ever alike and I am ready to assist in whatever your situation or challenge might be. Please call Daisy’s Senior Moves for a free home consultation and let us do the heavy work!
Example 1: Working with Adult Children Who Live Far Away
A geriatric care manager provided our name to an adult son who wanted help moving his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, from their home of 40 years to an assisted living community near his home. Mr. Smith was in good physical condition but had dementia. Mrs. Smith was mentally alert but required oxygen and was restricted to the first floor. In addition to four bedrooms on the second floor, there was a full basement, garage, and a shed-all full of decades of accumulation.
- Daisy’s Senior Moves can help Mrs. Smith develop a floor plan for the new apartment.
- Daisy’s Senior Moves can bring items up from the basement and down from the second floor so Mrs. Smith can decide whether they would like them to go with them, go to her son, be sold, donated or disposed of.
- Daisy’s Senior Moves can arrange for the mover and oversee the packing of the items going with them, arrange for unneeded items to be sold or disposed of and for the house to be cleaned after the move.
- Daisy’s Senior Moves will communicate regularly with the son.
Example 2: Herald’s Story: “I did everything myself the last time.”
Herald, a widower prides himself on being a sort of “do it yourself” kind of guy. He manages all the routine maintenance around the house, mows his own lawn and shovels the driveway when it snows. So now that he prepares to move from his home of 32 years, he figures he can do that too. The process proves more difficult than he anticipates. Sorting through the house he had shared with his wife depresses him, and the physical work is overwhelming.
Then Herald hears about Daisy’s Senior Moves, a business helping older adults with the emotional and physical aspects of moving. Pay someone to help him pack and unpack? No way! He and his wife had done everything for themselves the last time they moved. He isn’t about to pay someone to do it now. Edward looks around his home, at memories of vacations, at collectables they had purchased together, at the flat screen TV he had just installed. “I didn’t have a problem spending money on those things,” he thinks. “If Daisy’s Senior Moves helps me move on, it’s worth it.”
Who Contacts Senior Move Managers?
- Older Adults
- Family members
- Bank and trust officers
- Geriatric Care Managers
- Social service providers/social workers
- Senior living communities
- Physicians and health providers
- Staging professionals
Begin With a Free Consultation
We will begin with a free home consultation to evaluate your needs.